This simple dish is quick and easy to prepare and packs a powerful punch of delicious flavors. And this is coming from a guy who doesn't especially like shrimp, in fact just about the only time I find myself eating shrimp is when someone else orders it for an appetizer. However this recipe has the influence to change all of that by introducing flavors that I cannot resist into foods that I may not necessarily like, making shrimp more desirable. Give shrimp a second, third, or fourth try with this recipe. What do you have to loose?
- 1 small jalapeno pepper, stemmed and seeded
- 1/4 cup fresh juice from 3 or 4 limes
- 4 medium cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon zest from 1 lime
- 1 to 2 pounds of large shrimp, peeled & deveined
- Place jalapeno, lime juice, garlic, olive oil, chili powder, salt, and lime zest in a jar of a blender. Puree until garlic and jalapeno are completely chopped. This is your marinade.
- Place shrimp in a large plastic bag. Pour in marinade and toss to combine. Leave marinate at room temperature for about 30 minutes while preheating the grill.
- Gas Grill: Preheat on high for 5 minutes. Turn down heat to medium. Clean and oil grilling grate. Grill shrimp over high heat until shrimp is cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from grill, place in a platter and serve immediately.